Skip graduated from the University of Idaho with Bachelors of Science degrees in Psychology and Philosophy. He attended Creighton University School of Law, where he graduated cum laude. Skip’s career has focused on business, employment, and labor law, both in-house and in private practice. As in-house counsel for a regional human resources association, he learned, appreciated, and practiced a proactive approach to managing business, employment, and labor law issues. He continued this approach during his time as in-house counsel for SCP Global Technologies and Idaho Power and continues to emphasize educational and preventative measures in his current practice. In private practice, he has had the opportunity to use his in-house experiences in the litigation setting and has obtained a 360-degree view of business, employment, and labor law from both the practical and litigation sides. He has taught hundreds of business, employment, and labor courses to businesses interested in learning more about how to manage their businesses and manage the associated legal risks. Skip was a co-founding member of the Idaho State Bar Employment and Labor Law Section; Editor of the Idaho Employment and Labor Law Newsletter; member of the Idaho State Bar Business Law Section; charter member of the National Labor Relations Board Regional Advisory Committee; member of the American Bar Association Employment and Labor Law Section; member of the American Bar Association Business Law Section; served on the Board of Directors for the Treasure Valley Human Resources Association (“HRATV”); the Human Resources Committee, Treasure Valley YMCA Board of Directors; and serves on the Board of Directors, Idaho Support our Troops, Inc.
Senior Counsel | Idaho Power Company
I counseled the human resources department in all employment, labor, and benefit matters. I was responsible for all of the contracts in the human resources department. I worked with and directed outside counsel in all employment-related litigation. I prepared and delivered employment, labor, compliance, and awareness education to the department and to management.
Attorney | Capitol Law Group, PLLC
Capitol Law Group, PLLC is a full service firm offering a panoply of legal services to its clients. While with Capitol Law Group, I was in the litigation section of the firm and dealt with all manner of litigation including business, employment, labor, contract, tort, and real estate.
Partner | Munther Goodrum Sperry, Chtd.
Munther Goodrum Sperry, Chtd. was a small boutique law firm that focused on employment, labor, safety, real estate, construction, banking, corporate, and business law. During my time with the firm, I focused on education, litigation, counseling, and contracts involving business, employment, labor, real estate, construction, and corporate law.
General Counsel | SCP Global Technologies, Inc.
SCP Global Technologies was a privately held, high technology manufacturing company averaging 1,000 employees worldwide and $180 million in revenue per year. As the sole attorney for the organization, I:
- Conducted management education on legal compliance, business law, employment law, and human resources issues
- Represented the corporation in litigation and other legal proceedings or directed and managed outside counsel in these matters, as appropriate
- Ensured compliance with and guided executive management in all aspects of business law, employment and labor law, human resources issues, contracting, product liability, antitrust, professional privilege, insurance, intellectual property, bankruptcy, legislation, case law, and other legal issues
- Counseled the organization with regard to the legal issues associated with its expatriates working abroad and the immigration issues involved with many employees from outside the country that it hired to work in the United States
- Served as corporate legal secretary, advising the corporation in all corporate governance matters
- Prepared, reviewed, negotiated, and helped to execute all domestic and international contracts
- Directed the organization through a three-year industry downturn, which included hiring the Vice President of Human Resources, reducing the workforce from approximately 1,800 employees to approximately 500 employees through a series of six reductions in force and resolving the attendant issues with employees, litigation, and European union negotiations
- Lead and closed the legal activities for a transaction involving a $50 million venture capital investment, debt restructuring, stock and asset acquisition and integration of a competitor with operations in the United States and Germany, the spin-off of a subsidiary, and corporate restructuring in ten countries and fifteen states
- Directed and concluded a technology licensing and $10 million equity investment transaction
- Negotiated and secured a $4.4 million settlement for SCP in an acquisition dispute
- Negotiated and secured a $4 million settlement for SCP in an intellectual property infringement suit
- Managed the legal aspects of all mergers and acquisitions and financing activities
- Managed the legal activities in connection with a corporate restructuring, two aborted mergers with competitors, and an aborted initial public offering
Regional Director | IEC Group (“Idaho Employers’ Council”)
The IEC Group is an Organizational Performance Consulting firm, specializing in human resources administration, employment and labor law compliance, process improvement, quality, and customer service. The firm had over 800 member organizations nationwide. During my tenure as Regional Director, I:
- Developed and taught classes to human resources professionals, business owners, and attorneys regarding business, employment, and labor law compliance
- Counseled and represented organizations involved in discrimination suits
- Responded to and won unfair labor practice charges on behalf of member organizations and coordinated union avoidance campaigns resulting in the members’ National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) election victories
- Drafted and negotiated labor contracts on behalf of member organizations
- Conducted sexual harassment investigations for member organizations and worked with them to resolve the impact of harassment on their employees
- Hired, trained, and developed regional staff
- Developed compensation program and incentive guidelines for IEC staff
Chief Compliance Attorney & Human Resources Consultant | IEC Group
- Provided employment and labor law, human resources, immigration, and business education, guidance, and advice to over 750 organizations, including: Albertson College of Idaho, City of Meridian, Latah Health Services, the American Red Cross, J.R. Simplot Co., City of Nampa, Tri State Distributors, and Cavanaugh’s Hospitality Corp.
- Acted as Corporate Counsel, supervising and leading litigation brought by and against the IEC Group
- Drafted, reviewed, and negotiated all company contracts
- Hired, trained, and developed compliance staff, including attorneys, safety specialists, and administrative personnel
- Represented member organizations in labor negotiations, union-avoidance initiatives, NLRB hearings, and labor arbitrations
- Represented member organizations in over 25 state and federal discrimination cases without losing a case or entering into monetary settlement
- Represented member organizations in Department of Labor audits and charges dealing with overtime, position exemption status, minimum wage, and child labor regulations
- Assisted in the development of programs to reduce unemployment compensation claims and represented member organizations in their unemployment hearings
- Drafted and reviewed hundreds of employee and supervisory handbooks, standard operating procedures, and employment applications
- Consulted with member organizations regarding harassment and theft investigations, human resources policies and procedures, immigration law, strategic planning, and reasonable accommodation analyses.